Friday, January 28, 2011

New and last challenge

Not a Rat's Chance in Hell Challenge

10 books, challenge crossover is allowed (I suppose) and dead line the 1st of February 2012 (I guess), if all goes well.
List of required specifications :

"Ten unique and distinct books are required.
  1. A book that has been previously abandoned
  2. A re-read. Didn’t quite get it/thought there was more/made promise to self to re-read? Time to make good.
  3. A book that has sat on the shelf, like, forever. (Decades.)
  4. A book that paralyses one with dread.
  5. Investigate a canonical writer hitherto most shamefully overlooked.
  6. Seek out a book by an author who has earned ostracism by being so good that any further novel could surely never measure up…?
  7. And the opposite… That author who was supposed to be really good, but didn’t go down too well? Give him/her another go!
  8. Take a chance. Read a book which you would rather not. For instance when the OH says ‘you’ll really like this’ and you’re thinking ‘no, I really won’t…’
  9. A book from an unfamiliar genre.
  10. Ask a friend (preferably a person of impeccable taste, and definitely not someone who might have an axe to grind) to choose a book that you will, in their opinion, like. (This does not mean ask a dozen people until you get the right answer!)"
 Thank you Sarah for hosting this challenge!


So far I've got:
The Master and Margarita – didn’t really get it the first time, so it is a likely candidate for no 2 or 4, I’m not sure right now :)
no 1 – The Truth about Sascha Knisch ( I abandoned it half way)
no 3 – Anna Karenina – I have it in my library for a couple of years and I never took interest in it, but it’s about time
no 6 – Lisa’s breath by Karel G van Loon or The Invisible Ones
no 10 is pending ...
and I think that for n5 I'll go with Ernest Hemingway - is he canonical writer ? I most definitely overlooked him :D 
Anyone else wanna join ? Come on , an year is a looong time :) and I might need support from time to time. It's not like you (yes you) don't read, you might as well do it for a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment