Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Let The Great World Spin


Last week I’ve finished reading Let the Great World Spin. Loved the book, loved the characters and New York, and totally hated the small print. It’s the last time I’m buying/ reading a book printed in such a small font. If it weren’t for the story I would’ve dropped many many times. This book is about ordinary people living theirs lives, interposing in each others’ paths in the 70ties in New York. Two Irish brothers Corrigan and Ciaran living in Bronx, Claire and Gloria, mothers grieving their sons, Lara, a struggling painter, Tillie and Jazzlyn, mother and daughter hookers, Solomon, a judge, all connected on way or another with each other and witnessing or interacting in some way with Petit’s tightrope walk between the Twin Towers. I liked the writing and the way the style shifted when the story was told from another character’s perspective. Solomon was for me the most surprising. He is a judge and it is not every day that you see the world from a judge’s point of view. Gloria was closest to my heart with her difficult life, all that happened to her and still she finds the strength to move on, to help others and do good. 
 It's been a couple of days since I've closed this book, but I'm still thinking of Lara, Jazzlyn... and the beautiful way Colum McCann combined all their stories in one wonderful book.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment