Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Who is Philippe Petit ?

I admit I was not familiar with the name, I didn't know who he is, I never thought that someone would do something similar to this. You read, you learn. He says: "When I see three oranges, I juggle; when I see two towers, I walk." On the 7th of August 1974 he walked on a steel wire between the Twin Towers - 61 meters between the towers, 450meters high in the air using a balancing pole. He walked the wire for 45 minutes, making eight crossings between the towers, a quarter mile above the sidewalks of Manhattan. In addition to walking, he sat on the wire, gave knee salutes and, while lying on the wire, spoke with a gull circling above his head.(wiki) It is called "the artistic crime of the century" and it took him 6 years to prepare. I am amazed by his determination and courage. I admire that he had a dream, a crazy dream if you ask me, but I love that there are people out there capable of stunning acts like this one. 

I'm half way reading Let The Great World Spin so right now I'm in the 70s, in Manhattan, in the Bronx, in the Upper East Side...all over the place :)  and I'm meeting all kinds of people. Soon I'll tell you more about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment