Friday, January 13, 2012

No1 - Chunkster 2012


My first book of this year is An Autobiography – Agatha Christie –I totally loved this book.  I love reading her books and especially this one. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to listen :) lovely-lovely book about childhood, family, love, life, in good and in bad times. I have to say that the best part of the book is the one about Ashfield , her childhood home. She describes everything she can remember, and she has quite a memory J  She lived in different times and  I was fascinated about those years and the way things were.  She experiences both wars, has 2 marriages,  a daughter and a full life. From this book I learned The tale about the two frogs that fell into a can of milk – one gave up and drowned, the second frog persevered, refused to give up, and gradually the milk turned into butter, and it was able to free itself from the can – I never knew it.  It suits this autobiography so well. I realize that it is somewhat an optimistic way of seeing your life and ,of course, she left out things like anyone would, but this made reading it even more special.
I am sure I will read this book again. (It is amazing that I paid only 10 RON (~2.5EUR) for this book from a second-hand bookshop and it was in my TBR list for so long)

Books to add to my shopping/reading list : 
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
Confessions of an English Opium-Eater by Thomas De Quincey

2 comments:

  1. Great idea to include some biographical reading for the challenge; I'm going to check my shelves to see if something like this would fit, too. The idea of learning more about an author's childhood home does seem to offer another understanding of their life; I often enjoy the accounting of a subject's earliest years the most in a bio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you happen to find this book, read it. It's a wonderful, warm book, you will enjoy it if you are and if you are not an Agatha Christie fan. Thank you for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete