Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sophie's Choice


Sophie’s Choice


I usually have a good reason for picking a book up, buying it and reading it. I only know where I bought this book from, but not why. I’ve read it late this summer, but I didn’t get a chance to write anything about it. Maybe I took it because of The Diary of a Young Girl – although Sophie is not Jewish.
Three characters that I loved and hated at times and a very sad story. A love story, an agonizing life,  friendship and hate. It’s about a mother’s struggle to save her children during The Second WW, her chances, her choices. I read that this book produced quite a stir in 1979 when it appeared as it was explicit, but maybe due to the translation I didn’t get that feeling, but on the other hand, I read it in 2011. After all these months I still remember the scenes between Sophie and Nathan , scenes of love, jealousy, desperation,  self destruction and dependence. For sure it is a book worth reading again, at a wiser age, just to see what feeling digs up in me. Strong, powerful, breathtaking story about family, love and war. 

No comments:

Post a Comment