Tuesday, January 31, 2012

To Kill a Mockingbird


Reading about this book and its author I discovered Truman Capote and I added – In Cold Blood to my wish list. I read To Kill Mockingbird in the summer at the seaside, during a work thing I had last year. It is not quite the holiday book you take with you hoping for a light reading J but I loved the book and I would recommend it to anyone. It won the Pulitzer Prize in 1961 so it fits right in my Pulitzer Project. It deals with racism related events seen though a young girls’ eyes, in America in the 1920ies.  It is Harper Lee’s only book and it won many awards, but I think that the biggest reward is that it is so up-to-date now, many years after it was first published. I will find time to see the movie also, but I know it cannot compare with the book.  Movies never do
“Out of the cradle endlessly rocking,/
Out of the mocking-bird’s throat, the musical shuttle,……./
A reminiscence sing” – Walt Whitman  

No comments:

Post a Comment